Friday, May 10, 2013

The Path Less Traveled By

When I was in the eighth grade, I forgot about a book report until the teacher reminded us Friday that the report was due Monday, and it needed to be on a classic.  Problem was that I hadn't read any classics recently, so I did the only thing an eighth-grade girl could do.  I asked Daddy if we had any classics laying around the house.  He pulled out Alexandre Dumas's The Three Musketeers.  I objected.  It was a boy's book.  He told me that girls who had two days to finish a book report and not many options couldn't be too choosy about her reading materials.

So I opened the book and there, on the inside of the front cover, was my dad's address:
Ricky *****
**** Ashton Drive
Lima, Ohio 45801
Planet Earth
That "Planet Earth" and the reading material it was written on told me a whole lot about my dad's childhood headspace.


Most of the time, we write about things that we have done, but sometimes the things that we we've only imagined--like sword fights and space travel--tell a whole lot about us and the time we live in.  This week, I suggest that we take time to write out something we always imagined doing.  I don't mean a bucket list.  I mean the flights of fancy we use to bring both order and adventure to our lives.

I can't wait to hear what you have to say!

2 comments:

  1. What a cool idea, to write about daydreams and aspirations! I used to dream about living in the Indian pueblo in Frijoles canyon. Said pueblo had been in ruins for a couple of centuries and deserted way longer than that.

    I'd never stopped to think about the element of time in daydreams. We can dream forward about going backward. Imagination is a powerful time machine with no limits!

    Now, you turned a corner in this post. I was waiting to hear how you LOVED reading the Three Musketeers and a new world of reading choices opened to you as a result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Sharon. I may have to write that story.

      Delete