Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Routine

Okay, it's been so long since a post for this class that I'm ashamed to even apologize for it.  So I'm going to just skip the what's happening and get to the what can we be doing part.

And recently, we are looking at routine.

Looking at routine started because I'm thinking that we follow routines for two reasons:
  1. They are the default and we simply don't know another way (or don't care to know another way) of doing them; OR
  2. These are the things that have brought us joy in the past.  Doing things this way has made us happy before, and we are bargaining that it might do so again.  
When routine springs from hypothesis 2, then in some ways, it is the embodiment of hope.  And we could all use a little hope.

But even if routine springs from hypothesis 1, detailing a routine can show (not tell) you a whole lot about someone's personality, and that's what I'm hoping that you will find.

So this week's assignment (and maybe next week's too because I'm so behind), is to think about one of your routines and why or how you do it.  It may reveal something that comforted you and/or show us a glimpse of those who came before (for example, our tea drinking tradition in my family extends at least 3 generations back, and I suspect more.  I'm not drinking tea by myself; I'm drinking with great grandmothers).

To make the task more effective (harder), try doing some or all of the following:
  1. Avoid was/is and try more active verbs.
  2. See if you can avoid dialogue in just this piece and see if you can show us your thoughts/your characters thoughts through their actions.
  3. Consider using the senses and intelligences to get us into the scene.  See http://livesinletters.blogspot.com/2013_01_01_archive.html for a reminder on that if you need one.
Best wishes, and I can't wait to hear what you've written!

No comments:

Post a Comment